Mass Spectrometry Specialist
|Company:||Baylor Miraca Genetics Laboratories|
|Position:||Mass Spectrometry Specialist|
To apply please visit www.baylorgenetics.com/careers
Conducts high complexity biochemical genetics tests using LC-MS and GC-MS technology in the treatment and diagnosis of genetic diseases
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Performs testing and troubleshoots assay performance related to liquid chromatography-mass spectrometry (LC-MS), gas chromatography-mass spectrometry (GC-MS), tandem mass spectrometry technology
• Performs application development related to LC-MS, GC-MS and oversee new product launces
• Delivers on-site staff training and support
• Operates and maintains complex laboratory equipment
• Performs QC and takes appropriate actions if systems deviate from the laboratory’s established specification
• Writes and maintains protocols
• Prepares presentations and publications
• Analyzes and evaluates clinical data under supervision of the laboratory director
• Performs other duties as required
o Degree: MS or PhD in Biochemistry
o Relevant experience: 2-5 years
o Certification (preferred): C/SC(ASCP)
• Problem Solving--Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Gathers and analyzes information skillfully; Develops alternative solutions; Works well in group problem solving situations; Uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics.
• Technical Skills--Assesses own strengths and weaknesses; Pursues training and development opportunities; Strives to continuously build knowledge and skills; Shares expertise with others.
• Oral Communication--Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; Listens and gets clarification; Responds well to questions; Demonstrates group presentation skills; Participates in meetings.
• Written Communication--Writes clearly and informatively; Edits work for spelling and grammar; Varies writing style to meet needs; Presents numerical data effectively; Able to read and interpret written information.
• Teamwork--Balances team and individual responsibilities; Exhibits objectivity and openness to others' views; Gives and welcomes feedback; Contributes to building a positive team spirit; Puts success of team above own interests; Able to build morale and group commitments to goals and objectives; Supports everyone's efforts to succeed.
• Organizational Support--Follows policies and procedures; Completes administrative tasks correctly and on time; Supports organization's goals and values; Benefits organization through outside activities; Supports affirmative action and respects diversity.
• Quality--Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; Applies feedback to improve performance; Monitors own work to ensure quality.
• Quantity--Meets productivity standards; Completes work in timely manner; Strives to increase productivity; Works quickly.
• Adaptability--Adapts to changes in the work environment; Manages competing demands; Changes approach or method to best fit the situation; Able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
• Attendance/Punctuality--Is consistently at work and on time; Ensures work responsibilities are covered when absent; Arrives at meetings and appointments on time.
• Dependability--Follows instructions, responds to management direction; Takes responsibility for own actions; Keeps commitments; Commits to long hours of work when necessary to reach goals; Completes tasks on time or notifies appropriate person with an alternate plan.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT:
• Frequently required to sit
• Frequently required to stand
• Frequently required to utilize hand and finger dexterity
• Frequently required to talk or hear
• Frequently required utilize visual acuity to operate equipment, read technical information, and/or use keyboard
• Frequently exposure to bloodborne and airborne pathogens or infectious materials
The above is intended to describe the general content of and requirements for the performance of this job. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities or physical requirements. Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.