Research Scientist, Mass Spectrometry Proteomics: Instrumentation
|Company:||Caris Life Sceince|
|Position:||Research Scientist, Mass Spectrometry Proteomics: Instrumentation|
Job Title: Research Scientist, Mass Spectrometry Proteomics: Instrumentation
Caris Life Sciences, Phoenix, Arizona carislifesciences.com
A successful Research Scientist will be responsible for collaborative efforts with conducting scientific research leading to the discovery and development of high value, proprietary molecular diagnostic and therapeutic products. The incumbent will partner with other Research Scientists and Associates to develop methodologies, direct workflows, and provide technical support and training. A successful candidate will have a high to expert level of experience with: 1) the operation and maintenance of state-of-the-art mass spectrometers and chromatography systems for discovery, quantification, and validation of protein biomarkers and drug targets; or 2) sample preparation for mass spectrometry analysis using current methodologies and protocols, and developing novel workflows; or 3) processing mass spectrometry data using currently available software programs and other informatics tools; or 4) a combination of these three.
1. Collaborate with other Research Scientists and Associates to design and conduct experiments, collect data and analyze results in support of department project development objectives.
2. Operate, maintain, and calibrate LC-MS/MS systems. Diagnose and troubleshoot instrument problems and schedule repair service as required.
3. Follow standard workflows, and develop and optimize novel workflows for the preparation of various biological samples for analysis using mass spectrometry.
4. Operate, develop methods, and maintain automated platforms for sample preparation.
5. Process mass spec proteomic data using established workflows for biomarker discovery and relative and absolute quantitation; for bottom-up, middle- and top-down data analysis; using data dependent, data independent, PRM\MRM acquired data.
6. Maintain laboratory records in accordance with company standards.
7. Assist in the preparation of scholarly articles for publication. Present results of independent research; write reports/summaries for internal communications as well as patents and complete scientific papers for peer reviewed journals, publishing abstracts, manuscripts, or industry requirements.
8. Engage in continuous learning and skill development, including both scientific and laboratory technology education.
9. Follow all standard operating procedures, safety and security policies and prescribed practices, policies and guidelines; use Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) manual as reference to support work performed. Completes all necessary paperwork related to job duties.
10. May perform reviews of analytical data for acceptability of calibration, control values, response curve characteristics and quantitative limits. Provide reports and documentation for quality control performance of instruments and data sets.
11. Assists as needed to perform other related duties and special projects as required.
12. Accepts other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Experience
1. Ability to develop and deliver complex directions and develop, deliver and defend complicated scientific project plans.
2. Excellent analytical chemistry skills with a working knowledge and hands-on experience developing bottom-up and top-, middle-down proteomic data collection methods using nano- and microliter flow LC-MS systems.
3. Excellent protein biochemistry or molecular biology skills and experience with implementing biological sample preparation strategies for downstream mass spec analysis.
4. High level of knowledge with respect to the mathematical methods and theories underlying the various concepts and strategies used for processing mass spec proteomic acquired data.
5. One to three years of experience in the area of: 1) mass spectrometry instrument operations, 2) proteomic sample preparation, or 3) proteomic data analysis. Demonstration of core competencies in the form of publications, presentations, or patents is required. One to three years of scientific project leadership experience is required.
6. For mass spectrometry instrument operation positions: desire experience with operating, maintaining, and troubleshooting Thermo Scientific Orbitrap type mass spec instruments, such as the quadrupole-Orbitrap systems or the Tribrid systems. Experience with other vender platforms will be also be considered. Experience with operating, maintaining, and troubleshooting nano-LC and UHPLC chromatography systems is required.
7. For proteomic sample preparation positions: desire experience with various standard in-solution and in-gel proteomic sample prep protocols for bottom-up mass spec data collection, as well as with alternative workflows, such as FASP, S-trap, and automated systems such as the Bravo. Desire experience with mass-tag labeling protocols using TMT or ITRAQ, or SILAC.
8. For proteomic data processing positions: desire experience with vender specific proteomic data analysis software platforms, as well as third-party software platforms such as Max Quant, Byonic, Skyline, and Scaffold. Knowledge and experience with programing platforms such as R (R Studio), and other informatics tools such as MS Stats is a plus.
9. Detail oriented with ability to capture and record complex scientific data accurately and reliably.
10. Excellent written and verbal data presentation skills and the ability to use software tools to produce high impact presentations of data, highlighting key takeaways.
11. Ability to problem solve independently and in collaboration with others.
12. Strong team skills, with ability to both lead and work with other employees in a positive and constructive way.
13. Outstanding understanding of scientific process, including hypothesis development, experimental design, selection of controls, etc. Ability to weigh the relative pros and cons of alternative experimental designs and make decisions based on a thorough understanding of the potential problems.
14. Good business judgment and ability to align scientific goals with business objectives.
15. Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite, specifically Access, Word, Excel, Outlook, and general working knowledge of Internet for business use.
16. Drive for Results (Service, Quality, and Continuous Improvement) – Ensure procedures and processes are in place that lead to delivery of quality results and continually reassess their effectiveness to achieve continuous improvement.
17. Communication – Proficient verbal and written communication skills. Willingness to share and receive information and ideas from all levels of the organization in order to achieve the desired results.
18. Teamwork – Commitment to the successful achievement of team and organizational goals through a desire to participate with and help other members of the team.
19. Customer Service Focus – Demonstrate a focus on listening to and understanding client/customer needs and then delighting the client/customer by exceeding service and quality expectations.
Education, Certification/Licensure, and/or Experience
• B.S., M.S., or Ph.D. in chemistry-related or biology-related sciences.
• Experience and extensive knowledge in the mass spec-based proteomics field of science, with an emphasis on protein biomarker discovery, analysis, and quantitation, as it relates to cancer biology.
Please visit carislifescience.com careers section and apply online, or send cover letter and resume directly to Dr. Matthew Rosenow at [email protected]