Research Assistant, Laboratory (LC-MSMS)
|Company:||BC Centre for Excellence in HIV/AIDS|
|Location:||Vancouver, British Columbia|
|Position:||Research Assistant, Laboratory (LC-MSMS)|
Please note: Only Canadian Citizens, legal residents or residents with a legal work permit will be considered.
ORGANIZATION: The BC Centre for Excellence in HIV/AIDS (BC-CfE) is a renowned HIV/AIDS research centre with integrated research concentrations in the areas of Laboratory Sciences, Epidemiology, Health Economics, Clinical Trials, and Professional Education Programs. A multidisciplinary team of Epidemiologists, Data Analysts, Statisticians, Economists, and Clinical Researchers work collaboratively to conduct research to improve the health of people living with HIV in British Columbia.
JOB: In the BC CfE Laboratory, Research Assistants (RA) conduct complex laboratory procedures (analytical chemistry or molecular-biology based) that produce high quality results, in support of the BC-CfE's precision medicine or research activities. In this position, the RA generates data in support of research studies and clinical trials operated through the BC-CfE Research Laboratory or BC-CfE AIDS Research Program.
• Performs laboratory procedures including antiretroviral drug level measurement by Liquid Chromatography - Tandem Mass Spectrometry (LC-MSMS) equipment to produce reportable results to clinicians or researchers.
• Participates in the development and validation of new LC-MSMS methods including evaluating new equipment and products and contributing to technical reports and summaries.
• Accessions, processes and ships specimens for storage and further testing in support of clinical trials and research protocols.
• Adheres to laboratory policies and procedures, Standard Operating Procedures (SOP), quality control and quality assurance standards, and complies with safety regulations and accreditation requirements. Adapts to changes in policy and procedures and provides input to these changes as required.
• Maintains accurate, high quality documentation of all laboratory procedures and processes in accordance with accreditation requirements and/or applicable research standards by recording them the Laboratory Information System (LIS) and/or lab notebook.
• Contributes to research projects by collecting LC-MSMS data, participates in the interpretation and/or analysis of data, and assist in the drafting of research reports.
• Participates in the development, validation, optimization and implementation of new molecular biology and/or analytical chemistry assay methods including evaluating new equipment and products.
• Participates in establishing laboratory protocols for proposed studies.
• Performs other duties as required.
• BSc Degree from an accredited post- secondary institution in a relevant field (eg. General or Analytical Chemistry); minimum of two (2) years’ recent related laboratory experience performing relevant procedures using related equipment including operating Liquid Chromatography- Tandem Mass Spectrometry (LC-MSMS) equipment and troubleshooting non-conforming procedures and equipment.
• Strong understanding of analytical chemistry concepts and techniques.
• Exceptional analytical and reasoning skills
• Demonstrated ability to troubleshoot non-conforming laboratory procedures and equipment.
• Understanding of LC-MSMS assay and experiment design, equipment troubleshooting and maintenance.
• Strong knowledge of laboratory safety practices and Universal Blood and Body Fluid Precautions.
• Demonstrated ability to work independently and collaboratively with others
• Working knowledge of computerized systems utilized in laboratories and current software applications such as MS Office Applications.
• Willingness and ability to work with biohazardous materials
• Physical ability to perform the duties of the position.
An equivalent combination of education, training and experience may be considered.
STATUS: this is a temporary-full time position for 2 years with possibility of extension
BENEFITS: Employee benefits include medical, dental, extended health, life insurance, as well as accrued vacation and sick time.
Please send your curriculum vitae and cover letter outlining your experience and research interests via email to:
Human Resources Coordinator
c/o BC Centre for Excellence in HIV/AIDS
Note: Only candidates who are selected for an interview will be contacted.